Monday, August 11, 2014

What a Weekend

Hi friends. Can we just take a minute and talk about this weekend? What a mess.

Nate and I were so happy to have a weekend of "nothing going on" so that we could do all those things we haven't done in awhile (like finish hanging this light.) We are so silly.

As I'm sure most of you know if you follow the Instagram, we took Damian to the ER on Saturday. I had been painting the dining room when I realized it was all too quiet in the house. Nate texted me that Damian had decided to take a nap on the sofa. My mama sensors went off a bit at that, butttttt who doesn't love peace and quiet and the miracle of both children napping at the same time???? 

However, not only does my child not ever nap. He never turns off his beloved Curious George in order to take a nap, so the second he woke up we took his temperature--103.4. 

UGHGHHHHHHGGHHHHHHH

We asked him over and over "Does anything hurt??" and every time he responded that nothing did. 

UGHGHHGHHHHHHHH

For Damian, a sudden fever with no other symptoms means we need to rush him to the hospital.** So we did. He was pretty pitiful, but after some Motrin, IV fluids, (a lollipop,) and blood work he seemed to be doing much better. It was a long couple of hours waiting for answers.


At first I was all over it-- "Clare you can't touch anything!!!" But after an hour of being in a little room and having brought her two different shoes (both the left feet--oh the irony,) I decided I was fighting a losing battle. She's probably horribly diseased now too, but at least she had a milestone moment and said "bag" while trying on her new bookbag. Apparently she's 13.


Four hours later we all cheered that the labs said his liver looked fine but showed positive for RSV. Probably not the norm, but nothing ever is with Damian. It's hard to explain what goes on inside me as Damian's mom, it's a complicated mess of emotions. Let's just say no one has been so relieved for a virus.

As we go to leave Damian goes "WHAT'S THAT?!" 


Oh buddy... It's the GIANT picture of a sea turtle that's been on the wall behind you the entire time we've been here... Clearly little man wasn't feeling 100%.

Then we tried to leave, but we were flooded because downtown Charleston does that. 


So we hung out a little more until we could float drive our car out. 

Sunday consisted of a lot of Curious George watching and apple juice drinking and nothing else. He still had a bit of a fever but still no other symptoms. I kinda feel like this weekend was a waste, but at the end of the day, we're really happy that it's just a virus. That is until the rest of us get it... 

**Thank you to all who prayed for Damian! We know for most a fever doesn't seem like much, but for Damian repeated infections of the liver would speed up its deterioration and cause him to need a transplant much sooner. I try to not ever focus on the bad things, but when these little moments happen sometimes it can feel overwhelming. I know we are incredibly blessed by how well our Miracle Boy is doing.

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't on Instagram til after y'all had figured out he was ok, but I still sent up a prayer. Praise God.

    Curious George to the rescue in each and every situation over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Curious George is wonderful. Although I think he gives Damian some bad ideas ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh man. That is so scary - I can't even imagine. I'm so so glad everything turned out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has blessed Damian with remarkable strength! I wish I had half the strength of that little boy to deal with less than ideal circumstances. And Clare is just a little ray of joy! Billy would have loved that sea turtle.. that's his favorite animal. Give those sweet babies lots of kisses for me!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Let's be friends!