Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Do's and Don't's of Moving with Small Children

Don't.

No really. Just don't. 

Ok that might be a bit over dramatic. It's definitely doable in a you'd-chop-your-arm-off-if-it-were-stuck-under-a-rock-and-it-was-your-only-chance-of-survival kind of way. So I thought I'd share a bit of our process with you. And no, I still don't have pictures loaded of the house, but how about a video tour tomorrow?! Dealzzz (as Damian would say)???

DO adjust your expectations of time and apply the "add a zero rule." So for example, if you think it's going to only take you 20 hours to pack, add a zero, and prepare for 200 hours of box filling fun. Or if you think it's only going to take you a day to paint a room, add a zero an accept it will probably take 10 days and 100 trips to Lowes. I can't imagine why I might have gotten the wrong paint sample...

DON'T be shy about using Mr. TV to babysit the littles. I figure Damian's brain may be a bit more mushy by the end of this move but that's a lot better than having a box fall on him. Or packing him in a box because he refused to stop unpacking them. Or because he wants to "help" paint the carpet.

DO get help. If someone wants to help you, take it. And no I don't just mean from a marriage counselor. (I kid of course!) Sending Damian to the grandparents helps get rid of that darn zero rule. 

DON'T forget to take pictures. Nate really wanted us to do a video walk-through of the house before it was empty. I was opposed only because I didn't want the last recorded memories of our house to be when it was in such a state of disarray. But in the end I'm glad we did it! So much has happened in this house and I want to remember it.

DO hire someone. We went ahead and built in the cost of movers into the savings for home purchasing. We ended up not having movers load our truck (long story that will be funny...one day...I hope...) But we did for unloading the truck. Movers are a whole lot easier. Trust me. (Not that our free-of-charge movers aka in-laws weren't great, but I'm going to assume that they would've enjoyed us having movers too. :-) )

Basically that's how we are surviving--well that and some craft brews and bottles of wine.

.

4 comments:

  1. Love it and can't wait to hear more about it when the madness dies down!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I hope that's soon, but I'm starting to think the little man and little miss are going to keep that madness going for awhile ;-)

      Delete
  2. ... one day... I hope...

    Definitely laughed at that.

    Jon and I took pictures of our old apartment when it was in shambles, and again when it was empty. I wish I took more when it was in its glory (huge overstatement as I don't think glory could ever describe that place), but I'm glad I got what I got. I'll definitely consider a video tour next time around since the place is a tad bigger that our box of an apartment was. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I do not wish moving upon anyone so good luck "one day!"

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Let's be friends!